Re: [CH] Meatballs (thanks!)

Mike Nestrud (pink@gehennom.net)
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:41:03 -0400

On Saturday, September 17, 2005, at 08:53:18, you wrote:
> I use the Nesco American Harvest Snackmaster Express
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1120727
> and just love it especially for the temp controls.  Comes
> with 4 trays and expandable to 12 trays I think.  I freeze
> my pods first and then dry them cut side up at low temps.
> 125?F in the summer and 115? in the less humid winter.

What does freezing the pods first do?  Does it have something to do with
breaking the cell walls to release water?

Anyway, I got inspired at work today, and hot smoked about 3# of
fresh habaneros we "acquired" from the garden at work, for about 30
minutes. 1/3 are sour pickled (apple cider + palm vinegar, star anise,
mex. cinnamon, a pinch of mex. oregano and a pinch of epazote), 1/3 are
being sweet/sour pickled (apple cider vinegar + sugar) and 1/3 I put in
an "acquired" food dehydrator from another kitchen.  On Tuesday I'll put
the pickled ones in the dehydrator, and we'll check the results.

I just put them whole in the smoker, and then whole in the pickling
solution.  The non-pickled ones are whole in the dehydrator. Perhaps in
hindsight I should have smoked them split, skin side up, and dehydrated
them the same way.  Hopefully the smoke sticks.

> Then when dry enough to powder (often takes 3 days) its into
> my $10 Westbend electric food chopper which works the best
> of the three cheapo brands that I've tried.

I normally use a coffee/spice grinder when making powder from your
run-of-the-mill guajillos, anchos, new mex, etc.  It seems to work
pretty well.

Thanks for the advice on the dehydrator.  I hope to get one soon for
home.

-Mike

--
Teaching Assistant      |  "The solar garlic starts
American Bounty, CIA    |   to rot."