Re: [CH] Kimchee !?!

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:50:15 -0400

Hi, Andy --

I think I am a little spoiled living here in Atlanta -- we have a
significant Korean population.  Here, "Asian market" is code for
"Korean market with a few Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese items" and
most Asian restaurants are owned by Koreans (even if the sign proudly
proclaims:  "Chinese Buffet").  I'm not complaining, mind you, because
I love Korean food.

I buy my kimchee at the main (read:  largest) Korean market here in
town.  My Korean colleagues at work (there are many) also do this and
are quite happy with the products.  This particular market has many
different "types of kimchee" (yes, I know that kimchee is made with
cabbage and the other pickles have different names....I just don't
know what they are).  The cabbage is my favorite, but I also like the
green onion, the daikon, and this other type that I don't really know
what it is.  They make it all in-house and sell it either in bulk or
already jarred up for you.  My Koreak friends tend to buy it a gallon
at a time, but I typically restrict myself to a quart or two.

I know I'm not being much help here, but I guess what I am getting at
is that good kimchee is difficult to come by and even trickier to
make.  I think you might even need a starter to make the best kinds --
just like sourdough bread.  So....find a good Korean market and buy in
bulk -- the stuff will last forever in the fridge -- and the longer
you keep it, the stinkier it gets.  Mmmm, mmmmm, good....

Matt