Re: [CH] Homemade Fajita seasonings

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:22:17 -0700

Well, Jack, a fajita is a concoction of just about anything, any kind of
meat or fish or beans, etc. along with a tortilla. Going back to my
first one in Los Angeles Olivera Street in 1946, I asked what the spices
were and was told the ingredients and roughly what proportion. I have
used a 4-2-2-2 ratio ever since. Here it is:
4   tbls ground chiles, your choice, I use my own home grown, or Jim C's
2   tbls ground Mexican oregano...grind FINE!
2   tbls ground comino(cumin)
2   tbls garlic powder
Blend all of this well and store it in a jar with a tight lid. I blend
it in a small coffee grinder which I keep just for chiles. For your
fajita, use whatever meat you wish, skirt steak is traditional, any
steak can be used. Marinate it if a not tender cut. I use chicken or
pork, as my wife is alergic to beef, sadly, cause I aint! Anyway,
Jack....there is a tried and true fajita blend recipe for you. Use it as
you would the commercial chili powder crap available in supermarkets,
which is far too full of salt...yuk! If ya want to salt your fajita,
great do it, but do not add salt to the spice mix! Didn't mean to wound
your feelings, I apologise if I did! Cheers, old Doug in BC