Re: [CH] Tabasco and its nasty

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 06:54:32 -0600

Peter G wrote:

>> Who gives two hoots about Tabasco and its nasty sour fermented crap,
>> anyway?

> i do ,

OK. That's one in the FOR column.

> and so do Millions of folks worldwide .
> but for some reason, many CH listers seem to hold a condescending
> attitude about
> Tabasco hot sauce.  as if it's somehow beneath us -- somewhat
> contemptible ??

Not at all what I said or implied. I said "nasty, sour, fermented
crap". It's not beneath me nor contemptible. just nasty, sour,
fermented crap.

> Tabasco fermented pepper sauce may seem to be everywhere ... that's
> because it's a popular brand.

Coors Light is a popular beer ... but, that doesn't make it a
favourite of mine.

> It's certainly not the Only one on any given grocery
> shelf; you could check.
> there are lotsa brands offered for sale, including McIlhenney's
> (apparently someone's buying it !).
> This condiment has "been there" for hot sauce aficionandos for over 100
> years.
> and it has often been The influencing intro into the wide wild world of
> chiles for many

A mythos has grown up around Tabasco. Sort of a "rite of passage"
thing. And Col. McIlhenney's marketroids have been exceedingly clever
about exploiting that mystique. Much like Bill Gates has promoted
Windows. Gates ain't a very good programmer - but he IS a master
marketer.   Bv)=

> people.  perhaps even some CH listers ! when i buy a bottle of wine, i
> don't expect it to taste like grape juice.

Leave the Mogen David and Manachewicz on the shelf.

> when i buy a bottle of beer, i don't expect it to taste like sweet
> barley water.

Stay away from Coors Light, then.

> when i buy a bottle of Tabasco, i don't expect it to taste like blended
> peppers with salt & vinegar.    (although i like that too!)

I don't either. Which is why I don't buy it.

> Tabasco is an original, unique, quality, Fermented chile product, that
> satisfies the "hot-sauce desire" for many people.  it ain't pepper soup.

I suppose one can go along with the "quality" part. There are also
negative qualities. So, yeah ... quality fitews there.  Bv)=

> don't like it ?  ... hey, buy something else.
> different strokes for different folks.

Oh, I do. I also make me own.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Yaaaaahhhh Hooooooo Aaaaahhhh Hot Sauce
  Categories: Udd, Sauces, Chiles, Garlic
       Yield: 1 Quart

       1 qt Mason jar
       1 tb Salt; plain
       1 pt Chiles; dried Serrano,
            - Cayenne, Tabasco, etc.
       1 pt Garlic cloves; peeled
            Distilled white vinegar

   Fill the Mason jar with the dried chiles and peeled garlic.
   Dissolve the tablespoon of salt in a cup of white vinegar and
   pour over the chiles and garlic. Top up the jar with more
   vinegar and put the jar in a low traffic area to let the
   chilies rehydrate for a few weeks. Add vinegar as needed to
   keep the jar full.

   After a few weeks empty the contents of the jar into a blender
   or food processor and puree. Add vinegar (or water) to get to
   your desired thickness. I like mine to be fairly thick (like
   catsup with an attitude) instead of runny like Tabasco. As
   there is plenty of vegetable pulp in this mix, thick is easy.

   You can decant into smaller bottles or keep in the quart jug.
   I have kept some in the ice box for as long as five weeks with
   no ill effects. I can't seem to get it to last any longer than
   that. Apparently the longer it sits in the ice box the more of
   it disappears.

   This is a moderately successful attempt to make my own "Huy Fong
   Sriracha Sauce". It's more garlicky than Huy Fong and moderately
   spicy and goes well on almost anything. Which, I suspect is why
   I have never had a batch last more than five weeks before it's
   all used up.

   Devised, made. tested, named and approved in Uncle Dirty Dave's
   Kitchen. In the heart of the Great American Outback.

   MM Format and Recipe by Dave Drum - 23 February 1998

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen -  A FIDO Cooking Echoes Production

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards
of others, or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with
yourself as you are. -- J. Jacques