RE: [CH] habanero powder

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:23:12 -0500

Nope, just moderate care in the use of your mini coffee mill, stop at flake,
before you get to powder (and clean it thoroughly {:-)
I buy fresh habs from Jim, then dry and grind them myself.  (bought so many
last time that I didn't need to buy any this year, but will in '06)
Blue skies,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of John H. Sphar
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:56 AM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] habanero powder

Morning.  Just to say I finally ordered some of Jim's Red Savina powder and
just got it.  Guess I should have done it a long time ago.  As I mentioned
to a couple list members, I have not found a truly hot and flavorful hab
powder.  Either they must be real old or they are from a variety lower in
cap, I've never been satisfied.  Albeit there are not many out in the
stores.  One brand comes with a giant display with about seventy or so
spices hanging on it.  The hab powder (as the others) come in like a one or
1.5 oz little plastic bag with no way to reseal, and then when you pour it
on food its not hot.

Well when I poured Jim's on a pizza yesterday I knew it was there.  Great
flavor and obviously fresher than what I'm used to.  As soon as the smoked
stuff is available I'll be tryin that too.  I heard that's what you use to
color Doug's cookies with, or a scoop of mango hab ice cream (or both
simultaneously).

Question:  I use a lot of Spice Hunter brand flaked chipotle on pizza and
other stuff.  I could imagine how flaked smoked Red Savina would taste.
Does flaking dried chiles commercially take much new equipment?

Happy holidays, John S.