Re: [CH] WI Boys

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

Gido, nice to make your acquaintence!  I love Lovett.  However the passage you quoted does not actually put a good light on N. Dakotans.  I'd rather be a good shot than a drunk!  Anywho, my dad was a San Franciscan (transplant from Charleroi, PA).  I think I inherited his gastronomic courage.

Although I try to visualize the olden days you mentioned in the bar, I think from my own experience that horseradish is horseradish.  It's all pungent in the same way and proportion in my mind.  However I would pay to have a part of that ethnic rite of passage.

With clear nostrils,
John Sphar

----- Original Message ----
From: Guido the Heartless <prairiehabanero@usjet.net>
To: John Sphar <chilehead@pacbell.net>; Sandy Olson <sandyo@myclearwave.net>; z42dkm@yahoo.com
Cc: Chilehead List <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2006 1:15:37 PM
Subject: Re: [CH] WI Boys

As Lyle Lovett croons:  the (read ME) boys from North Dakota drink whiskey
for their fun...the cowboys down in Texas polish up their guns...

Apparently the boys from Wisconsin simply "whuff" horseradish...that
explains much.

OBTW, we North Dakotans can can make some right-powerful varnish remover,
nee, horseradish too.  I recall the old German farmers bringing their
concoctions to the local one-horse bar and shoveling their condiment on
pickled eggs and pigs' feet and washing it down with brewski...that bar
always did smell a bit funky...

Pathetic what the folks at Arbys try to pass as 'horsey' sauce,
incidentally.

cheerio