Re: [CH] Low Acid Tomatoes

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:11:12 -0400

My understanding is that this is a common misconception.  I've been
told by folks that raise and sell tomato plants at the State Farmers'
Market (NC) that all tomatoes have essentially the same acid level.
However, some tomatoes are sweeter than others, giving the appearance
of "low acid".  Again, I've been told that all tomatoes can be canned
"as is", but I tend to add about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice per pint
just to be safe.  I have found that this does not alter the sweetness
or flavor of the canned tomatoes.

All of that said, a couple of possibly pertinent comments:

1.  The most predominant "low acid" tomato in this neck of the woods
is the German Johnson.  Many folks grow them and many folks sell them.
 I think they are a good tomato, but lacking the flavor of some other
varieties.  I'm sure seeds are available online.

2.  The way I can is the way I can.  Everyone needs to make their own
decisions with regards to acidity and safety.  Please do not send me
tons of emails stating that I am promoting unsafe canning practices.
My tomatoes are typically canned in pints (with the above mentioned
lemon juice added) for 35 minutes in a water bath canner.  I go 45
minutes for quarts.

Happy and safe canning to all.

Matt