Re: [CH] Chile Peppers in Japanese Cooking

Mary-Anne Durkee (durkee.ch.list@gmail.com)
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:37:53 -0800

Some Japanese recipes call for Togarashi which is a combination of
spices including chile.  We use it in Crab cakes along with kaffir
lime, and sit it on chioptle hollandaise sauce.  I hve posted here
before.  It is called Steve's Dungeness Crab Cakes.  Steve is my
better half.  VBG

Japanese cooking doesn't really use much chile.  For spicier Asian
that is close to Japan I suggest Korean.  Chap Jae is a great yam
noodle dish that I use chile fermented bean paste in.  Not sure if I
have shared this recipe here or not.  I don't wnt to post repeats and
anger El Grande.  VBG

Here is a Japanese dipping sauce:

6  tablespoons soy sauce
6  tablespoons rice vinegar
1  teaspoon red hot Chinese chili paste (or tohbandjan)
2  garlic cloves, minced
1  teaspoon gingerroot, minced
3  green onions, thinly sliced
2  teaspoons sesame oil