RE: [CH] Chiles & Ancient Cuisine

Tina Brooks (shoestring_louise@yahoo.com)
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:06:07 -0800 (PST)

I have been looking for significant proof that
chillies might have developed independently on the
Asian continent, but all of the science I have seen to
date says no.

That doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means that
I personally have seen no proof.

--- Alex Silbajoris <asilbajo@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: Rob Solarion <robs@dctexas.net>
>
> >The author of the report, Linda Perry, says the
> findings will change
> >perceptions about the sophistication of food on the
> continent,
> >thousands of years before Christopher Columbus
> arrived.
> >
> >He took the chilli pepper to Europe, from where it
> spread to the rest of
> >the world.
>
> There is always speculation about whether anicient
> people had contacts, like
> did the polynesians sail to south america?  I submit
> that chiles would be a
> marker of contact - if anyone sailed from south
> america, carrying chiles, to
> anywhere in asia, wouldn't chiles appear there?
>
> As far as I know there's no claim of chiles in asia
> before the westerners
> brought them - is that right?

> Don’t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private
> jet travel from Microsoft®
> Office Live

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0540002499mrt/direct/01/

=====