RE: [CH] How long will this Insanity go on?

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:51:59 -0700

I agree mangoes, peaches or papaya are great with habs.  I was just
wondering what natural additives such as these would go with this Indian
wonder. I agree Tina, extracts really change the taste in a negative way...
The only time I found it useful was in winning the "911 Challenge" at Cluck
You Chicken restaurant near U. Santa Clara.  My pardner and I, after the
memorial service of an old friend, decided to go to that fast chicken food
place and do the challenge.  No napkins, no liquids to drink.  You had to
lick your fingers off after having eaten a pile of wings drenched in the
"global thermonuclear sauce" (additionally spiced-up w/ extract).  We had to
sit there for 5 minutes before we went to the bathroom.  My friend still has
my voicemail message on his recorder.  It was not pretty.  The good news is
that we got a tee shirt and our pictures on the wall.  I eat much more
moderate stuff nowadays.

Anyway thanks for the ideas.  I'll be back...

John

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Tina Brooks
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:41 AM
To: Hobby Farmer; Chile Heads list
Subject: Re: [CH] How long will this Insanity go on?

John,

We cut our Red Savina sauce with Mangoes (if you can
call that "cutting". It really brings out the sweet
flavour of the Savina.

I personally hate extracts. There has to be a better
way to get heat into food without adding chemicals.

Tina

--- Hobby Farmer <hobbyfarmer@t-one.net> wrote:

> John Sphar wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there who appreciates the
> sauces without the extract
> > enhancement?  I like all of them, but I prefer
> those without.  And I never
> > use them in preparation (OK well maybe I DID make
> Doug's cookies a couple
> > times...).  I usually make bottles of red savina
> for home use and giveaway
> > purposes, some with only vinegar or lime juice and
> salt, some with sauteed
> > onions and carrots, but this year I'm going to try
> Jolokia hot sauce with no
> > extract.  Since there is no Belize in the Jolokia
> chile, any ideas on what
> > to cut the chile sauce with for a milder sauce?
> How about black mustard
> > seeds, methi, cardamom, etc?
> >
> > John
>
> Red Savina sauces are great with lots of garlic.  As
> to cutting
> heat, carrots, as you said you have used is some
> sauces, seems to
> temper a sauce.  Also, sweets seem to cut the heat.
> We have used
> sugar, honey, mangos and peaches with good results.
> If we are going
> for flavor, not blistering heat, we use less chiles
> and more filler.
>   That back-of-the-throat warmth from the Chinense
> varieties is more
> fun if it sneaks up on you.
>
> Let us know how the Jolokia sauce comes out, and how
> the pepper's
> flavor is, if you can get past the heat.  We are
> growing the Dorset
> Naga this year as our try at an ultra hot chile.
>
> Hobby Farmer

=====

Tina Brooks
VP Marketing, Peppermaster Hot Sauces
www.peppermaster.com
Brooks Pepperfire Foods Inc.

Phone: (514) 393-3430
26 St. Jean Baptiste, East
Rigaud, Quebec, Canada
J0P 1P0

Network with me on www.gourmetbusinessforum.com -- The premier online
business community for food professionals