Re: [CH] How long will this Insanity go on?

Tina Brooks (shoestring_louise@yahoo.com)
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:17:53 -0700 (PDT)

My understanding is that the capsaicin producers use
"solvents". of which as much as 50 ppm are allowed to
remain before the FDA considers them above food grade.

Currently acceptable solvents used for food grade
oleoresins:

methyl cyanide,
ethyl acetate
carbon dioxide
One company, on their website simply lists; volatile
solvents.
There are steam extractions and some pure grain
alcohol use, but the majority aren't and since they
don't have to tell you what solvent was used for their
oleoresin, how do you know for sure?

Only the FDA really knows for sure, what else they
might be using.

So, lets ignore that your favorite extract sauce
doesn't disclose how the capsaicin was extracted.

Do you know what pesticides or herbicides were sprayed
on the peppers? You might want to wonder about that,
because pesticide residues get concentrated in
oleoresins because they are soluble in organic
solvents.

I became a little more wary about this last year when
they lifted the ban on DDT in countries like Belize
because of Malaria.

Add insult to injury, all these things considered,
capsaicin, capsicum oleoresin, pepper extract and even
chili peppers themselves are generally considered safe
and are not regularly tested by the FDA.

Maybe it is just alcohol. But knowing what I know... I
highly doubt it.

I am of the opinion that anything that is that
unregulated ought not to be in the food chain. I'll
stick to my nice clean, I know what they're not
spraying on them, chillies.

=====