Re: [CH] pico de gallo

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:00:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- Nels Peterson Family <npkp4jp@polarcomm.com>
wrote:

> Made a great batch of 'pico' tonight.  Looks life
> frost here on the ND

Frost? The horror...

> tundra, picked a bunch of tomatoes, peppers.  pulled
> the last of the
> onions.  Yummy time.
>
> Hand diced a 3-4 pounds of tomatoes, drained for a
> bit
>
> Minced the following in the food processor
> 4 bell peppers
> two onions, big sweet spanish type
> big handful of serrano peppers ( did I say a big
> handful)
> double handful tomatillos
>
> Snuck a bit out and chopped a little cilantro in for
> myself-- between
> the cilantro and tomatillos made for a nice citrus
> like flavor.

cilantro is divine.  Epazote is close behind (and many
people *really* hate that one).

> Made a good supper.  I'm not vegetarian, but I could
> eat like this
> often.

See, mon, that's my philosophy.  I like pig.  But
other than that (and lamb; love a good lamb...sorry
Doug!), not big into birds (chickens are just nasty
little beasts, particularly the commercially raised
things...christ, the *smell* of those nasty birds),
beasts (cow) are probably MAD, and I don't hunt (I've
had good venison, but not much XP with it).  Fish is
groovy, yes.  Regardless, I generally eat lots of
grains/peas/beans, lots of noodles/pasta, and lots of
veggies.  And I eat well, thankyouverymuch, and I
really like eating that way.  The meat is necessary
too; not trying to ween myself off or something (I'll
phuck a pig up, to be blunt...sorry...can smell
sausage and ribs from miles away...chase it down, by
damn...).  Probably eat sausage at least once a week,
but it's like an ounce here, couple ounces there.
Meat flavors well and that flavor goes a long way.  I
figure, a big pot of lentils with carrots, onions,
some (lots) of garlic, bit o' veggie stock, some good
seasonings, and a couple ounces of Almighty Pig
Sausage = balanced eating, good eating, that
"moderation" stuff everyone speaks about.

(not lecturing, just rambling)

Anyway, yeah, fresh salsa, pico, etc.  Heavenly.
Would be nice to get out of this apartment and get a
little garden going again (when I plant in pots,
plants die.  DIE I tell you.  I killed GARLIC.
sheesh...).  Chiles, tomatoes, herbs at the very
least.

Anyway, if you're lucky, you still have a bit of the
pico left, and in the morning, you can heat up a can
of black beans, fry up a couple eggs, toss it all on a
tortilla or two, smother it all with the pico, and eat
well.

Hopefully there'll have been no frost too.

(nasty stuff, winter...)

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael-o-rama
64