RE: [CH] Texas chili

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:56:08 -0700

The way I remember it is to think of chile verde. It's meat, a really tasty
sauce, and chiles.  Same with chile colorado except different meat and
spices.  Wouldn't want beans in it, but I often have them on the side.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Riley J. McIntire
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 3:31 PM
To: dan combs; ChileHeads
Subject: RE: [CH] Texas chili

dan combs [dcombs@bloomington.in.us] spake thusly on Saturday, September 15,
2007 2:28 PM:

> At 03:54 PM 9/14/2007, =Mark wrote:
>> The best I've had:
>> http://chile.netrelief.com/recipes/bad_attitude_chili_recipe.shtml

> Hmmmm.  I think the term "Texas Chili" has evolved over the years to
> mean something different than what I grew up with.   Texas chili
> isn't a fancy, over-spiced concoction but rather is a simple
> slow-fried ground meat, or chunked meat, that is allowed to simmer in
> the pan for two hours or so.  The spices are fresh-ground cumin,
> garlic and salt; and lots of the first two.   If the fat cooks away
> then add small amounts of water.

Seems to me chili has to have chiles in it. I'm no expert, but that sounds
like de-chilefied chili for early to mid-1900s midwest palettes. Tell the
truth, it was cooked with beans, but my Mom's ``chili'' was like that and
she was from Missouri. But I'm from LA and not related. ;-)

> The cornbread goes on the plate, the beans on the cornbread, and the
> seasoned meat on the beans.  Or as we learned early in life, the
> layers are "Biscuit, beans, beef."
>
> Then shovel on all sorts of toppings to taste and eat.  There should
> never be any cooked tomatoes anywhere in the meal.

Hmmm, 'cept for the chiles I'd call that a Kansas City taco.

> For the high-brow eater, a dollop of sour cream might go well on top
> though.

Really, use a corn tortilla instead of corn bread...

> How did this simple treat get so complicated?

Ask a simple question around here and that's what you get. For that matter,
no one's answered the question whether Jardine's Bag o'Fixins Kit is any
good. Not that it matters any more, I'll make it from scratch. :-/

Riley
--
Nothing in the world is more dangerous
than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.