Re: [CH] "Thai hot" confusion :-)

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:45:53 -0500

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:34:28PM -0500, Dave Drum wrote:
> Jim Graham wrote:

>> Is it my imagination, or have the words, "Thai hot" completely lost
>> their meaning?

> Look to see who is running the "Thai" place.

Thai folks.  This is a military town---lots of "imported" (sorry, don't
mean to offend anyone...don't have the negative feelings to have any
desire to do so...just looking for a simple, one-word term) wives,
including a bunch of Thais.  I wouldn't even consider eating at a Thai
place that wasn't run by Thai folk around here...same for Chinese (for
when I'm ok with excessively mild...if you go by what we have around
here, which is all I have to go by, all Chinese food is *EXTREMELY*
mild).

> That will give you a tip-off. Ask the waitron if the food is "Thai Hot"
> or "Round-eye Hot".
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ok, *THAT* I *HAVE* to remember!!!  :-)   10pt bonus for making me laugh!

> Many places started out as "authentic" Thai cuisine and got so much
> pissing and moaning from Aunt Minnie and Bessie Do-As-Would-Be-Done-By
> about the "too hot"

Actually, the lady who is the owner and/or top manager of the one Thai
place that can sometimes actually get my Pad Thai nice and hot (and
yes, she's Thai, and, like me, does not generally like non-fiery foods)
commented that they're getting more and more requests for Thai hot.
There are a lot of chile heads around here....

My impression, and I'm seriously wondering if I'm right about this, is
that I might have jumped right past Thai hot and on to Nuclear Hot as
my heat level.  My best friend, Lisa (from when I worked at 16th Special
Operations Wing Intelligence), and I were talking about this just a
couple of nights ago (neither of us has ever met anyone else who can keep
up with the other on eating fire except ourselves...and there, it's a
dead-even match-up).

Btw, my newest idea follows along with the general concept of a comment
I received (might have been to the e-mail I'm replying to or perhaps
another---triple brain surgery and meds...yeah, that's my excuse...and
it's the REAL excuse):  buy some fresh Thai peppers (my Thai peppers all
died out this year, so I have to [embarassed look] buy them) and, just
like the "You Know You're a Chile-Head If..." list says, walk into the
Thai place and say, "Here, start with these...."

Oh well....  I gotta tell y'all...it's great to be back here on the list,
amongst the other chile-heads!  I don't know if anyone even knew me well
enough to miss me (probably the only person, if she's even on the list,
would be the Firegirl---are you out there, Mary?  Remember me?  Remember
times when you called me back at work and weren't quite sure what to say
when I answered with the standard "unsecure line, this is Jim" bit?
<grin>), but I've certainly missed being here!

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 6.1 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W