Re: [CH] "Thai hot" confusion :-) (fwd)

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:18:54 -0500

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 04:59:17PM -0400, Jonathan Smillie wrote:

> As far as "Thai Hot" goes - I have two restaurants in the vicinity that
> understand what that means. Otherwise they just wink and nod and assume
> the round-eyes can't take it - and don't get any more of my business...

That's my response, too.  I'm keeping notes these days.  Today, the one
place that was 50/50 on my list (all of the others so far got a failing
grade after the first order...forget second chances!) lost a customer
(that'd be me, btw).

First, the lady I normally order from (who knows how hot I want it)
asked me (since I was getting it to go, as usual) to order from the
other lady at the register.  Ok, fine.  So, I'm talking to her, and
explaining that the last time I was there, I ordered Thai hot and
got mild...and that I wanted (as the first lady put it) "double Thai
hot" or, basically, just flat out extremely hot.  She said they could
make it Thai hot, and that was it.  When it arrived, I opened the to
go container, and my nose and eyes instantly told me it was too mild.
For one thing, I could barely even see any chopped up bits of Thai
peppers, where they should have been visible in large amounts...not
to mention the fact that I didn't get that wave of heat to my face
when I opened the lid.

I asked her if it was, perhaps, the wrong order, said it was too mild,
and she insisted it was right (and even charged me $0.50 for the extra
Thai peppers I asked for to heat it up).

BZZZZZT!  Wrong answer!  Bye bye....  It's too bad, too, because they
make a really nice pad Thai.  Sigh...the search continues.   (And yes,
I did pull out a bag of fresh Thai peppers and say, "start with this
much and add more from there" ... she ignored me.)

I think, when I go to the next place, I'll adapt a quote I remember from
some book on quality that an old boss was nuts over:  "Somewhere in this
town, there is a Thai place that will give me real Thai hot when I ask
for it...I'd sure like for it to be you."  ;-}

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of
spooky130@cox.net       | porter poured in a proper pewter porter