Re: [CH] "Thai hot" confusion :-)

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 04:34:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- jim <jim@mail.wildpepper.com> wrote:

> Gotta disagree a bit on blaming Pace.  The finger
> ought to be pointed at
> ourselves first!  Corps only put out what we request
> and support with buying
> dollars.  Folks (present list company excepted)
> *DEMAND* consitency in a
> product- they don't like one jar of salsa to be hot
> & one not.  Easiest way
> to maintain heat levels is to use a heatless jap and
> then a measured dose of
> chile exract.  Voila!  One million jars that taste
> identical from first to
> last.  Think folks don't value that?  Look at this
> thread- one bad meal = no
> more business ;-)  Folks here are wanting consistent
> heat levels in their
> Thai food; being able to walk into a Thai restaraunt
> and know in advance the
> heat level will be what they come to expect.  That's
> all Pace is trying to
> do as well.

That makes sense on one level, and by that, I mean the
fix found to deal with inconsistent product.  But
working from my level of ignorance, I'd think Pace,
etc., make salsa in huge volumes.  Is there no way to
test the scoville level of a batch?  Seems there would
only be need for an average heat level required for
mild, medium, hot (although I wonder if anything below
'hot' actually has a heat level).  I admit, I can see
this being more expensive and more time consuming for
a large producer, but only minimally so.  Personally,
being a sort of, what, food luddite? food purist?
picky anal bastard?...I prefer no extracts, etc. as it
seems to be cheating in some way.  Too easy.  Solent
green, baby.  Well, no, but maybe my point is clear.
If for no other reason, though, food that's simply
made has been handled the least by human hands
(assuming the human hands know what they are
doing...remembering too many cooks by my side who
would saute veal scallopini to death...saute shrimp
for minutes on end...deep fry calamari into little
pieces of crispy coated rubber....woe...)

I suppose there's all the reason I need to cook/make
my own foods, eh?

boom.

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......

PS: I actually give restaurants 2, even 3 tries,
assuming the bad experience isn't a hazardous
experience, of course.  I have even offered
(threatened?) to go back in the kitchen and show the
cooks how the dish should be prepared...free of
charge.   8^)

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658