Re: [CH] lunch

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:24:14 -0600

Nels,

I use my pressure cooker/canners a lot & nice to see another chile-head that
uses too.  Last week for 14 lbs chicken used in burritos & added bonus of 15
pints canned chicken stock.  Also pressure processed 3 pints of leftover
chicken meat & veggies.

Don't have any venison though.  :-(

Made beef stew a couple weeks ago in the 16 qt cooker.  Cubed the beef,
dredged in flour, browned in oil & into the pot.  Add chicken stock to
cover,  turnips, parsnips, onions, carrots, fresh ground mezcla de
pimientas, green bell peppers, Pasilla Bajio peppers and sea salt.  I like
to add diced hot peppers when reheating the stew rather than during the
initial cooking.  Because of the flour and the oil used during browning the
stew it is not safe for pressure canning and I put in molds, froze solid &
then vac sealed.

Hot regards,
JohnT

----- Original Message -----
From: Nels Peterson Family
To: ChileHeads
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:23 PM
Subject: [CH] lunch

Home today,recuperating   Bored our of my gourd -- decided to make
lunch.  Not bad for a slap together stew.

Venison stew

venison round cut into cubes
roll cubes in flour, salt and pepper to coat

brown in hot (nearly smoking oil) in pressure cooker
add enough water to cover meat, bring up to pressure for 15 minutes.
Quench pressure cooker with cold water

add one jar (16 ounces) salsa - today I used a jar of habenero lime
salsa that was sitting on the shelf.
pour one bag (12 ounces) frozen mixed veggies  over meat and salsa.

Bring up to pressure one more time. quench and enjoy!(can add a couple
of cubed potatoes, I didn't today)

Really good with homemade overnight buns

I'll share most everything but my wife and the bun recipe!

Nels in ND