RE: [CH] Re: Botulism question.

Riley J. McIntire (Riley@ChileGarden.com)
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:22:39 -0800

Cameron Begg [PheasantPlucker@pop-server.columbus.rr.com] spake thusly on
Monday, February 11, 2008 10:09 AM:

> Hi C-H's,
>
> Dave -At 11:24 AM -0500 2/11/08, chilehead@tough-love.com wrote:
>> Ergo, if botulism croaks at 240F as John T says, you're good to go.
>
> Unless there are spores remaining in the jar, which has only been
> boiling water treated. I think the probability is very low

Another factor is whether the spores, if present, will even sprout at normal
fridge temps. I think not, but don't know.

> Doug - I would freeze the stock except that it takes quite a long
> time to thaw big blocks of stuff. The cold jellied stock from a

One technique I've run across is freezing, eg in freezer bags, flat and
thin. Thaws quickly and stores easily. Of course to thaw quickly it should
fit flat in the pot, or be submerged.

Cheers,

Riley
--
"Now what *you* need is a proper pint of
porter poured in a proper pewter porter pot."