Re: [CH] Smoke 'em if you got 'em (chipotles that is)

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:54:09 -0600

Eric writes:  > Unless your like my wife, and can't stand anything with even
a remotely
smokey flavor... go figure.

Johnathan,

I've done a lot of smoking & for me a little goes a long ways unless done by
someone that really knows what they are doing.  The wood smoke can impart a
bitter flavor and I'm very sensitive to it.  I have a Little Chief electric
smoker too, but only use it during the wintertime because it runs too hot in
the summer & I want to smoke the pods, not cook them.  (there are some
tricks for smoking in the LC, but I won't bog down the thread this time)

Pellets.  Hard to mess up when using heat-compressed pellets.  All the nasty
stuff has been burned out & just pure flavor left.
http://www.fototime.com/A86863D34E46F7C/standard.jpg  I put the little
cast-iron smoke pot right on the heating element.
http://www.fototime.com/9C0047F81C00182/standard.jpg  Pecan is my fav flavor
for pods.  You can get the pellets here:
http://www.peppermania.com/_smokin_chiles.html  There is a great difference
in flavor depending on what wood you choose.  Mesquite, apple, oak & pecan
are probably the most used.

Mostly I use an off-set (important) fire box smoker:
http://www.fototime.com/3858466CA2B7491/standard.jpg  The fire is in the
chamber to the left & the smoke travels through the cooking chamber.  Use
lump charcoal and not the briquettes because no petro stuff in the lump.  I
usually get the charcoal going and then periodically add pellets or chunks
of pecan wood.  These off-set fire chamber smokers can run quite cool.
Using pecan logs that have been burning long enough to be coals can take the
place of the lump charcoal.

What I do most is dehydrate the pods before smoking.  Set the dehydrator
temp to 125°F and dehydrate until brittle.  This low temp helps preserve pod
color & capsaicin heat.  It might take 3 days for jals that have been cut in
half lengthwise and seeds removed.  (place cut side up in the dehydrator so
juices are not lost)  Then an hour or two in the smoker for the smoke
flavor.

Scotch Bonnet Steve is a master at smoke-drying pods.  He didn't say much at
O.F. last Sept, but he surely made an impact!

jt   (Buck Private, SandyO Moderate Corps)