Re: [CH] Reusing hot sauce bottles?

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:05:51 -0600

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 10:44:26AM -0500, Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> Can I, if I clean and sterilize these bottles, use them again for
> another batch of sauce?

First, unless you're using an autoclave or pressure cooker to boil at
or over 240 deg. F for a minimum of 20 minutes, replace "sterilize"
with "sanitize" in the question above....

> a good few minutes' boiling after they've been hand-washed and run
> through the dishwasher to remove residue ought to do it - or am I
> wrong?

I am tempted here to type up some info on cleaning and sanitizing
that I never seem to see mentioned here....  I'd base this on knowledge
I've gained as an advanced brewer---taught by professional brewers to
brew more or less on a professional level (I'm still weak when it
comes to some beer styles), whether at home or at a brewpub.  I should
point out here that standards for cleaning and sanitizing in brewing
are considerably more strict than in foodservice overall---and when
it comes to bottling/canning, they're on about the same level.

Specifically, if I type this up, I'll be talking about the different
levels of "clean" (visibly clean, chemically clean, microbiologically
clean, and sterile), and (limiting it to stuff safe to use at home)
the chemicals (i.e., cleaners and sanitizers), processes, and concepts
involved.

Before I do, however, I'd like to know whether or not anyone is even
interested.....  Comments?

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 6.1 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W

   "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of porter poured in a proper
   pewter porter pot.."     --Peter Dalgaard in alt.sysadmin.recovery