RE: [CH] Reusing hot sauce bottles?

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:43:14 -0500

Why not Jim,

Probably won't use it myself, but there have been enough questions on the
subject that someone will get some use out of it.  Who knows, you might even
save a life <G>

For me, it is merely curiosity.  I make fresh salsas and smoked tomato or
tomatillo salsas, using salt and lime juice as preservatives.  They last up
to about 2 weeks in the fridge, if I just take out what I need right then
and put the main dish it right back in the fridge.  Most of the time, I use
it up within a week.

Anything that is bottled, like sauces, I buy.  Not to say that I might not
give it a whirl some day.

Blue skies,
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Jim Graham
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:06 PM
To: Chile Heads
Subject: Re: [CH] Reusing hot sauce bottles?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 10:44:26AM -0500, Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> Can I, if I clean and sterilize these bottles, use them again for
> another batch of sauce?

First, unless you're using an autoclave or pressure cooker to boil at or
over 240 deg. F for a minimum of 20 minutes, replace "sterilize"
with "sanitize" in the question above....

> a good few minutes' boiling after they've been hand-washed and run
> through the dishwasher to remove residue ought to do it - or am I
> wrong?

I am tempted here to type up some info on cleaning and sanitizing that I
never seem to see mentioned here....  I'd base this on knowledge I've gained
as an advanced brewer---taught by professional brewers to brew more or less
on a professional level (I'm still weak when it comes to some beer styles),
whether at home or at a brewpub.  I should point out here that standards for
cleaning and sanitizing in brewing are considerably more strict than in
foodservice overall---and when it comes to bottling/canning, they're on
about the same level.

Specifically, if I type this up, I'll be talking about the different levels
of "clean" (visibly clean, chemically clean, microbiologically clean, and
sterile), and (limiting it to stuff safe to use at home) the chemicals
(i.e., cleaners and sanitizers), processes, and concepts involved.

Before I do, however, I'd like to know whether or not anyone is even
interested.....  Comments?

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 6.1 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W

   "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of porter poured in a proper
   pewter porter pot.."     --Peter Dalgaard in alt.sysadmin.recovery