Re: [CH] Reusing hot sauce bottles?

Cameron (PheasantPlucker@columbus.rr.com)
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:07:09 -0500

Hi C-H's and Jim Graham in particular,

At 1:05 PM -0600 2/17/08, Jim Graham wrote:
>I am tempted here to type up some info on cleaning and sanitizing
>that I never seem to see mentioned here....  I'd base this on knowledge
>I've gained as an advanced brewer

As a fellow brewer I would be happy to discuss cleaning techniques.
As a Chile-Head I think the level of sanitization needed for most
culinary purposes is below that which is required for marketing a
beverage, albeit one which is around 5% alcohol and to that extent
self preserving.

General guidelines for the use of cleaning chemicals appropriate for
different materials would be most welcome, as would be a discussion
of food spoilage organisms which although not necessarily life
threatening, would make the canned or bottled product undesirable.
I'm thinking here of beer spoilage organisms (such as acetobacter for
example) but there are plenty of others that will give off flavors to
salsas and sauces. Maybe the discussion will lead to the use of salt
tolerant yeasts (and other "friendly" bugs) for hot sauce production.
I have experimented with this to some extent, and John Taylor is an
expert.

So, yeah, go for it man!

Regards,
                Cameron