[Fwd: Re: [CH] Fermentation and the like]

Jose Cisneros (jcisn@comcast.net)
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:23:40 -0500

--------------080705070404090201040804

 filename="Re: [CH] Fermentation and the like.eml"

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:13:54 -0500
From: Jose Cisneros <jcisn@comcast.net>
To: JohnT <Love2Troll@kc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CH] Fermentation and the like

Hey John,
> Spent 11 hours yesterday at KU Med Center and 5 today.  I have a lot
> of beer drinking to catch up on.
Sorry to hear that,  the med center that is. Truly.  I've an  extra oil
can or two of Foster's Bitters here.

> I believe your method is indeed safe and a good soapy wash & hot rinse of
> the containers is all I do most of the time.  But it's so darned salty
> and
> mold can grow on the surface unless everything is completely submerged in
> the salt brine.  Kahm yeast mold isn't dangerous, but sure tastes bad
> and is
> unsightly to say the least.
I've had a white yeast mold grow on my pepper mash and my usual response
was to
stir in back it to the mash. This prevents other things from growing on
the yeast.
The taste didn't seem to be affected.
Whats wrong with yeast? It's good in bread.

The solution the problem of a pepper mash solution having wayyyyyyyyyyyy too
much salt is to dilute it by adding vinegar, (stops the fermentation)
water and whatever other ingredients
one might think to add, as I'm sure you know.

A quart of pepper mash kept in the fridge after it has reached it's
optimal state of fermented perfection
will keep a person in hot sauce for a long time.
Each little nicely washed and sanitized hot sauce bottle filled with
varying renditions on the hot sauce theme.
Imagine an entire world of chile-heads creating new and interesting hot
sauces for their own amusement and taste.
DIY incarnate.

Making pepper mash can be as interesting as making wine.
Think of it.
Let's say you used a particular sort of pepper.
Tabasco maybe.......... Hmmmmm.... Any one do that?
The very name informs you as to the taste of the mash which means a
particular pepper or peppers will
create a memorable difference.
What if you used Italian frying peppers and Habs?
Heart peppers and Serrano's?
Ripe Anchos  and Cubanelas?

Jose

--------------080705070404090201040804--