Re: [CH] Nearly-averted disaster (and a couple of questions)

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:41:44 -0700

Jim Graham wrote:
> Question for the more experienced growers.  I've never seen anything but
> tabascos come back after the winter, so they're all I even have any hope
> for.  But is there an easy way to tell ahead of time whether or not they
> will come back?  Or is it just a waiting game?

Hi Jim...I only grow in containers. A few years ago, I had a pot of Habs
which I overwintered in a store room(with an east facing window) two
years running. The first year back, 2nd year, they came along like
gangbusters, and had a lot of fruit. The following year, they came back,
but really did very little. I had not changed the soil, only added
Miracle Grow to the pot, which worked fine the 2nd year. However it did
not do much for the third year, I had fruit, a little, and LOADS of
foliage, which I believe is due to the fertilizer. I have planted fresh
plants ever since, as I only have space for a few pots for peppers, and
I also like to try different peppers. John T (love to troll) sent me a
bunch of seeds a couple of years back, Byron sent some last year, and I
simply cannot get good germination, always get damp off! This never ever
happened when we had our acreage in the Okanagan, I could start stuff,
stick it right in the garden a away it went. Perhaps it is just me
getting too old to do it right! Ferget any other remarks, heard 'em all!
  So, there you are, Jim. The old guy's experience! Cheers, Doug in BC