Re: [CH] Mantis tiller advice....

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:47:28 -0500

Linda Reynolds wrote:

> I have heard both positive and crapola reviews of the mantis tiller so I
> figured I would ask the resident
> experts on this list what they think.....anyone with experience they
> would like to share? I see on listed in
> the local pennysaver but would like to know whether it's worth giving
> them a call or not....?

I dunno as I am an expert. But, I used to have a Mantis before I moved
into this mobile home and converted to trailer trash.

It should not be called a tiller in the sense that it will completely
prepare your seed bed(s) like a Honda or Troy-Built tiller. But, if
you can get past the hard part of the preparation the low-cost Mantis
makes a dandy weed killer and power cultivator. Mixing the oil and gas
for the tiny little two-stroke motor can be a PITA - and you have to
remember to mark the two-stroke gas container VERY clearly. You
wouldn't believe the stuff that happens if you fuel your four strok
lawn mower from the wrong can. ... and never you mind how I know that.

Overall - the Mantis (or one of its knock-off Chinese copies) is a
decent enough tool for the things it is good at - aerating the top few
inches of soil, tilling between rows of plants to keep weeds down,
etc. I'd not pay much more than U$75 for one and that only if it came
with the edger and thatcher attachments.

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expected generally
happens. -- Benjamin Disraeli