Re: [CH] Bumblebee Tuna and extracts...

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:41:37 -0700

Jim Graham wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:44:35PM -0700, Dana H. Myers wrote:
>
>> Actually, for the most part, no, I don't think the "crap" in our food
>> is responsible these issues.  Obesity and diabetes are almost certainly
>> not due to what's in our food, but the sheer quantity and type of food
>> we're stuffing in our faces, all the while becoming more sedentary.

> So don't automatically assume that someone's poor choices are the cause
> of their excess weight.  I'd guess that that's true most of the time, but
> you simply can't tell just by looking (unless you see someone without a
> single hair on their body---including eyelashes and eyebrows, and a lot
> of extra body fat---you can then at least safely bet that they MIGHT be
> in the same sinking boat that I'm in).

Sure - you're right.  Illness sometimes takes our choices away,
pushes us into a corner.  Statistics suggest that something like
1.5% of North Americans are diagnosed with cancer in a 5-year
period, while something like like 35% are currently obese.  Numerically,
cancer as a cause of obesity is far outweighed by sedentary, over-
consuming lifestyles, so I'll stand by my general assertion.

One of our friends just underwent removal of a benign cranial tumor,
no chemo, and *that's* been tough.  He too was shocked at the rate he
gained weight while briefly treated with steroids.