RE: [CH] Mole Negro Oaxaqueno en el formato de MasterCook [was RE: [CH] Hatch chiles clarification? ]

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:07:09 -0700

Aresome! Yep my Wordfile does have the Food Network logo at the top of the
recipe. I have always wanted MasterCook but I thought it was no longer
supported. It would be great to have a standardized way to store recipes. I
do have and use Firefox but never heard of RecipeFox. I'll go to the link,
but if you have any tips on moving to MasterCook, I'd be in your debt! (Tu
espanol era perfecto.)

John S.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Riley J. McIntire
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 1:59 PM
To: John Sphar; ChileHeads
Subject: [CH] Mole Negro Oaxaqueno en el formato de MasterCook [was RE: [CH]
Hatch chiles clarification? ]

[apologies if I mangled the Spanish. :)]

John Sphar [chilehead@pacbell.net] spake thusly on Monday, June 16, 2008
12:13 PM:

> Inspired by Maria Taboada and Paula Martinez
> Episode#: ENSP03
> Copyright C 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Aha. Food Network. An essentially 1 click operation, using RecipeFox and
Firefox. So I put it in MasterCook format for those that use it.  More info
here:

http://recipetools.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/index.php

Riley
--
"To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to
be hopelessly in love with spring." -George Santayana

* Exported from MasterCook *

                 Mole Negro Oaxaqueno: Oaxacan Black Mole

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Chicken, Poultry                Chiles
                Mole

  4              large  onions -- chopped, onion, quartered
  1             medium  onions
  8                     ribs celery -- chopped
  8                     carrots -- chopped
  6             pounds  Chicken, Whole, No Skin, R-t-c -- 2 3lb chickens,
cut into 12 pieces, skinned
  5                     chilhuacles negros -- seeded and deveined; seeds
reserved
  5                     guajillos -- seeded and deveined; seeds reserved
  4                     pasillas Mexicanos -- seeded and deveined; seeds
reserved
  4                     anchos negros -- seeded and deveined; seeds reserved
  2                     chipotles mecos -- seeded and deveined; seeds
reserved
     1/2          head  garlic -- cloves separated
  2        tablespoons  whole almonds
  2        tablespoons  Peanuts -- shelled and skinned
  1               inch  Mexican cinnamon
  3                     black peppercorns
  3              whole  cloves
  3        tablespoons  sunflower oil
  1 1/2    tablespoons  raisins
  1              slice  egg-dough bread
  1              small  ripe plantain -- cut into 1/2-inch slices
     1/2           Cup  Sesame Seeds
  2                     pecan halves
     1/2         pound  chopped tomatoes
     1/4         pound  Tomatillos -- chopped
  1              Sprig  Thyme Sprigs -- or 1/2 tsp. dried
  1              Sprig  Fresh Oaxacan Oregano -- or 1/2 tsp. dried
  2        tablespoons  lard
  4 1/2         ounces  Mexican chocolate
  1                     avocado leaf
                        Salt -- to taste

In a 2 gallon stockpot, heat 5 quarts water and onions, celery, and carrots
to a boil. Add chicken pieces and poach, covered, over low heat for about 35
to 45 minutes, until cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with a
fork. Remove the meat from the stock. Strain and reserve the stock.

Heat 2 quarts of water in a kettle. On a 10-inch dry comal, griddle, or in a
cast-iron frying pan, toast the chiles over medium heat until blackened, but
not burnt, about 10 minutes. Place the chiles in a large bowl, cover with
hot water, and soak for 1/2 hour. Remove the chiles from the soaking water
with tongs, placing small batches in a blender with 1/4 cup of the chile
soaking water to blend smooth. Put the chile puree through a strainer to
remove the skins.

In the same dry comal, griddle, or frying pan, grill the onion and garlic
over medium heat for 10 minutes. Set aside. Toast the almonds, peanuts,
cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves in a dry comal, griddle or cast-iron
frying pan for about 5 minutes. Remove them from the pan.

Over the same heat, toast the chile seeds, taking care to blacken but not
burn them, about 20 minutes. Try to do this outside or in a well-ventilated
place because the seeds will give off very strong fumes. When the seeds are
completely black, light them with a match and let them burn themselves out.
Remove from the heat and place in a bowl. Soak the blackened seeds in 1 cup
of cold water for 10 minutes. Drain the seeds and grind them in a blender
for about 2 minutes. Add the blended chile seeds to the blended chile
mixture.

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in an 8-inch cast-iron frying pan over medium heat
until smoking. Add the raisins and fry them until they are plump,
approximately 1 minute. Remove from the pan. Fry the bread slice in the same
oil until browned, about 5 minutes, over medium heat. Remove from pan. Fry
the plantain in the same oil until it is well browned, approximately 10
minutes, over medium heat. Set aside. Fry the sesame seeds, stirring
constantly over low heat, adding more oil if needed. When the sesame seeds
start to brown, about 5 minutes, add the pecans and brown for 2 minutes
more. Remove all from the pan, let cool, and grind finely in a spice
grinder. It takes a bit of time, but this is the only way to grind the seeds
and nuts finely enough.

Wipe out the frying pan and fry the tomatoes, tomatillos, thyme, and oregano
over medium to high heat, allowing the juices to almost evaporate, about 15
minutes. Blend well, using 1/2 cup of reserved stock if needed to blend and
set aside. Place the nuts, bread, plantains, raisins, onion, garlic and
spices in the blender in small batches, and blend well, adding about 1 cup
of stock to make it smooth.

Cuisine:
  "Mexican"
Source:
  "Seasons of My Heart: A Culinary Journey through Oaxaca, Mexico by Susana
Trilling"
S(URL):
  "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15187,00.html
"
Copyright:
  "Ballantine Books, 1999"
Start to Finish Time:
  "4:45"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 392 Calories; 22g Fat (46.7% calories
from fat); 24g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 56mg
Cholesterol; 112mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 3 1/2
Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Inspired by Maria Taboada and Paula Martinez
Show:  	Food Network Specials
Episode:  	Tasting Mexico

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0