RE: [CH] List Future

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:44:58 -0700

Jim you hit it on the head. It is an unmoderated list, Mike being the guy
who supports it technically on a server at UCD. He has an email address
which is publically posted, but it would not be a good thing if 50 people
sent him a message on this topic. There are members who can help any problem
subscribing.

John S.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Jim Graham
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:07 AM
To: ChileHeads
Subject: Re: [CH] List Future

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:44:42AM -0500, Sandy Olson wrote:

> I, too, would like a more active or hands-on moderator

Hold on a second...I thought this list was unmoderated....  A list admin and
a moderator are two entirely different things.  A moderator receives all
posts and decides which get posted to the list.  A list admin maintains the
system part, and may or may not interact with the list's content
itself...he/she may not even have any interest in the list's topic
whatsoever.  And they are not expected to monitor the list's
discussions...just the systems it rides on.

> Perhaps he's simply too busy to tend to this list

Or perhaps he just isn't subscribed to the list...there is absolutely no
reason to expect him to be...it's not part of a list owner's job.

I've asked this a couple of times, and I'll ask again:  has anyone sent
e-mail to owner-chile-heads asking about these problems?  If not, nobody has
any reason to expect him to do anything about something he doesn't know
about.

> and knows the people here are pretty self-sufficient so he allows us
> to monitor ourselves.

Again, is this list moderated or unmoderated?  And if it's moderated, how is
it that posts go through so quickly at all hours of day or night?
Surely any moderator would have something other than approving posts to the
list to do with their time.

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of
spooky130@cox.net       | porter poured in a proper pewter porter