Re: [CH] Cherries and Habs

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:32:56 -0500

Johnathan,

I would at least have to try a dessert burrito (because that's what I do).
A cherry pie or cobbler recipe with some diced habs and roll it up and
freeze.  A smear of Rosarita brand refried beans on the tortilla wrap (don't
laugh) and perhaps a slice of Cabot's Extra Sharp Cheddar before rolling
too.

Might make a good salsa ingredient too.  (don't know if sweet or sour
cherries?)  The 6 lb 10 oz cans of Del Monte sliced peaches in light syrup
and the 6 lb 6 oz cans of Contadina brand diced tomatoes in tomato juice are
excellent to work with if you don't have fresh.  The peaches need to be
diced though.  You would need something green for color.  Diced celery and
diced green bells would be my choice.  Tomatillos?  Cilantro?  Mexican
Oregano?   Diced sweet or hot onions.  Salt, cumin seed, fresh ground
pepper, raisins etc etc.  The amt of vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice would
vary as to taste and whether or not you intend to can the salsa.

jt

My Nixon-like impression:  Y -  I am not a cook - Y

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Smillie
To: Chile Heads
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 1:22 PM
Subject: [CH] Cherries and Habs

So my wife, insightful and considerate woman that she is (I have to
write that in case she's got a spy here on the list), calls me this
morning and says "Amanda at work says her mother has too many cherries
from her tree in the backyard. I told her you, being so into cooking and
all, could help her out."

Not seeing the pit opening up before me, I said, "Sure. How many are we
talking about?"

"Fifteen gallons. I've got them in the car."

As it turns out, it's only fifteen /quarts/ - but that's still a lot of
cherries. However, I happen to have on hand a whole mess (that's a
technical term) of Brother Jim's pureed habanero, not to mention other
ingredients that could be combined therewith. So I'm seriously
considering venturing into cherry-habanero-sauce-land this weekend - or
similar projects if I can find a good recipe. Anybody have sage advice
(or recipes) to offer on the matter?

TIA,

Jonathan