Re: [CH] newbie intro & chile question

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:53:50 -0700

Tina Brooks wrote:
> Hi Terry...
>
> Lose the serranos althogether, they're just plain nasty -- yucky, they taste
 > just like green beans... go for something with flavour like jalapenos or cayennes,
 > or go up the heat scale a bit and throw a hab in there instead.

You've apparently never had good Serranos.  They have a very pretty
floral nose with a firm sensation of heat, and bush-ripened Serranos
(red) are just to die for.  Under-ripe Serranos, like any other
pepper, can taste very green and vegetal, sure - but properly
ripened, Serranos are among my favorites.  I always leave
the seeds in Serranos when I use them.

Fresh Cayenne peppers are usually hotter than Serranos, which
are usually quite a bit hotter than Jalapenos.  Under-ripe
Jalapenos are, of course, much like a bell pepper.

If you have access to fresh, ripe Thai chiles, they're another
personal favorite.

Habaneros are great, but they run the risk of completely blowing
away any modicum of subtlety.  I'd be very careful using them
in a dinner-party item unless I really knew the guests well
(and that they like high heat) and had done the recipe before
to really understand how it turns out.

Cheers,
Dana