Re: [CH] newbie intro & chile question

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:10:25 -0500

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 01:53:50PM -0700, Dana H. Myers wrote:

> Under-ripe Serranos, like any other pepper, can taste very green
> and vegetal

I compare the taste of non-ripened, green serranos, jalapenos, etc.,
to wax.  That comparison seems to work best.

Now, for the list:

> Serranos
> Fresh Cayenne peppers
> Jalapenos

Assuming all three are fresh from the garden, and are nice and ripe
(nice deep red color), I'd rank the flavor of Cayenne *WAY* above the
rest, but that's just my opinion.  I refer both to cooking with it and
using it as a side item next to, say, lasagna, pasta, etc. (bite of
meal, bite of pepper, and so on).

> If you have access to fresh, ripe Thai chiles, they're another
> personal favorite.

Oh, yes.  But there are different types of Thai chillis...some are
quite mild, others will light your world on fire (and those are
quite yummy!).

> Habaneros are great

I agree.  :-)

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | Peter da Silva:  No, try "rm -rf /"
spooky130@cox.net       | Dave Aronson:    As your life flashes before