Re: [CH] need hot sauce recipe help

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:51:16 -0700 (PDT)

Depending upon the size of the neck/opening of your bottles, the seeds may clog them up and make shaking out some sauce more of a chore than the delight it should be.  But you could, if desired, limit the seeds by just scraping some out prior to cooking the chiles down.

As for pH, yeah, one of Those in the Know will have to answer that one.

BTW, my experience has been that habs pulled while still green will often ripen off the vine; some don't (just to piss me off, of course), but most have done so.  Assuming you've an area to lay (hanging is better) the chiles that is not too humid, then they shouldn't rot before the turn, albeit they may dry out a bit.

As with you, I'm not fond of vinegar, although over the past couple years, I've come to tolerate it in a few things (cole slaw; salad; etc.) but in low doses.  I've become a fan of Mitsukan, a Japanese sushi vinegar, which is probably easily made at home as it's little more than (rice) vinegar and lots of sweetener (corn syrup).  Anyway, I'd probably use malt vinegar since it's a mild vinegar (one guy was making hot sauce a few years back (decade?) who's products used malt vinegar; they were more tolerable that most of the hot sauces that have burnt my lips (which is part of the problem for me: I can stand the heat of chiles, but the burn of vinegar is like chugging moonshine, which I actually have (bad) memories of, but I digress).

Anyway, again, other's in the Know will have recommendations as to how to avoid vinegar in making a hot sauce that will not literally kill you.  Myself, I make salsas and purees that I can freeze and then mix with, say, some pureed fruit or fruit juices.  Almost-fresh-sauces.  I've taken to avoid the hot sauces and use ground chiles.

So, for what that was worth....

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael64