Re: [CH] Beware the Salsa

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sun, 06 Jul 2008 18:06:15 -0500

jim wrote:
> I wouldn't think the ID bracelets cost much.  At a minimum, simply put
> your name, date of birth, port location, and allergies.  I don't think it'd be
> hard to Google or even ask your MD for sources.  For the cheapest
> solution, print it out on a piece of paper and stick it in your wallet so that
> it falls out if/when we pull it open to check for info.  One old guy on the
> list puts it all on a USB flash drive.
>
> Dave- the "amp" would have been the D50.  It is so routine that we don't
> think much of it, but I guess I can appreciate the effect it would have on
> the public.  We were at a Burger King, called on an unconscious person.
> We get there and immediately suspect "diabetic" -confirmed by
> bystanders who said he kept asking for 'sugar' before he went under.
> The crowd at the place figures he's dead since they can't rouse him for
> anything and he's only barely breathing.  We get IV access, administer
> the sugar water and it's "Lazarus, come forth!" :-)  Up he pops, to lucidly
> and clearly converse with us, sign the release (refusal of transport), to
> the cheers of the public.  We feel like frauds sometimes ;-)  I don't mean
> to make light of it- it *IS* a serious condition (and will result in death if
> not reversed quickly), it just feels so routine to us and requires so little of
> our skills that we feel guilty over such a simple thing as 'sugar water'
> making such a difference.

Never feel guilty over helping others - even if it is simple to you -
through familiarity ... at the very least it will make some folks
bitch less about the taxes they pay for services such as yours.

BTW - my sugar was at 41 mg/Dl when taken in the ambulance. I have
been told by my croakers that much below 40 and your candle goes out.

If I had any idea who those folks were - both from the Fire dept and
the Paramedics I would make them a big pot of chilli.

Meanwhile - they have adjusted my meds to the point where I am taking
only a minimal dose of one diabetic med - down from the two whacking
doses of two meds I used to take.

Still dunno what made the blood sugar problem flip-flop.

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... A joke's a very serious thing. -- Charles Churchill