Re: [CH] Apres Ski Pork Carnitas con Chiles

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:00:48 -0400

Terry Pogue wrote:
> I see the Poblano Cream didn't post with the caritas recipe sooo, Here
> it is. I love this stuff.
>

> Chile Poblano Cream
> Recipe By: Susan McDonald
>
> Ingredients
>
>     1        Tomatillos -- skinned, rinsed, and quartered
>     8    sprigs    Cilantro -- Parsley if you hate cilantro
>     3        Poblano Chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded
>     3    ounces    Cream Cheese -- light if you like
>     3    tablespoons    Chicken broth  -- if needed
>     2    tablespoons    Safflower oil -- slightly warmed
>              Lime Juice (fresh) -- to taste
>     1/2    teaspoons    Garlic salt -- about 1 small clove of garlic
> and salt
>
> Instructions
>
> In  processor  blend tomatillo, and cilantro with chillies until smooth .
> Add cream cheese , in several pieces and blend smooth . You may need
> to add chicken broth to aid blending
> Heat oil and add it to the blender running to help emulsify the mixture .
> Season with lime juice  and garlic salt ( if using fresh garlic add it
> with  the
> tomatillos )  add additional salt , if desired.
>
> Store refrigerated until ready to use . The cream keeps well for 3-4
> for days
> Reblend before using , if neccessary.
>
> ( 1  prefer to add extra stock than safflower oil  )
>

> Printed from A Cook's Books -- Recipe management for Macintosh
> http://www.terrypogue.com/Terry
> "My idea of pure heaven is to spend a day in the kitchen, peeling,
> chopping, and stirring while the words of a good book fill the air
> around me."
> Ruth Reichl
>

> On Jul 15, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Mary-Anne Durkee wrote:
>
>> Terry
>>
>> This sounds great!  I make a Mark Miller Caranitas recipes which uses
>> Chiles Caribe, and I cook it in a large copper pot.  The pot is
>> unlined and is a confectuer pan.  Makes the best caranitas as the
>> copper gives the pork a great crustiness.
>>
>> Mary-Anne
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Terry Pogue <tpogue@comcast.net> wrote:
>> this is another good recipe from one of my favorite cooks. I really
>> adore Susan's recipes. She's a good friend and is very generous with
>> her recipes and entertaining ideas.
>> terry
>>

>> Apres Ski Pork Carnitas con Chiles
>> Recipe By: Susan McDonald
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>>        3       lbs     boneless pork cut into 1 inch cubes
>>        2       large   onions chopped
>>        1       large   red pepper , seeded and chopped
>>        1       large   green pepper seeded and chopped ( I use 2 red
>> peppers )
>>        3       cloves  garlic , minced
>>        1       fresh   jalapeno pepper , seeded and chopped
>>        1/4     teaspoon        cayenne pepper
>>        1/2     teaspoon        dried oregano
>>        3/4     teaspoon        ground cumin
>>        5 1/2   teaspoons       salt
>>        2       tablespoons     cornstarch
>>        1       tablespoon      red wine vinegar
> [...]
Terry:

Thanks for this recipe. I am growing tomatillos for the first time this
year and if blossoms are anything to go by, will have more to use than I
know what to do with. So any recipe using them is good to have!

Jonathan