Re: [CH] Measurements

JohnT (love2troll@kc.rr.com)
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:32:01 -0500

Been a problem for me at times too.  Sometimes it's figuring out whether a
recipe is talking liquid or dry weight.  Something as simple as "add 2 cups
chopped onions" can vary a great deal in weight depending on how coarsely
chopped etc.  European recipes often add the amt in kg and I really
appreciate that.

For regular cooking the precise amts are nowhere near as important as when
boiling water bath canning where overall acidity can be a matter of safety.

Several years back I bought a postal scale for measuring ingredients in my
salsas etc.  I think weighing ingredients is the most accurate.  Your local
post office either has them or can get for you.  Mine was abt $35, but is
probably more now.

jt

dhdnpl