Re: [CH] Measurements

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:21:04 -0500

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 12:32:01PM -0500, JohnT wrote:
> Something as simple as "add 2 cups chopped onions" can vary a great
> deal in weight depending on how coarsely chopped etc.  European
> recipes often add the amt in kg and I really appreciate that.

FWIW, when I was in college, I worked, for a semester or two, at the
bakery at the main cafeteria on campus.  *ALL* of our measurements,
except those for liquids, were in pounds and ounces, measured on a very,
VERY nice triple-beam balance, with both large and small counterweights
for getting close, and a sliding scale for fine adjustments.  For the
majority of what we made there, it had to be that exact.

On the other hand, a lot of the cooking I've done at other places used
quantities like "about that much" or "the right amount" ...  or, another
one:  "you want to sprinkle some [whatever] on, not too much, just about
like this so it looks right" ... or simply, "you want it to look about
like this...."  :-)

And, of course, it all depends on what you're cooking.  For some
things (breads and other doughs being fine examples), precise,
accurate measurements are very important.  For other things (e.g.,
making a fiery-hot curry---I don't think I've ever made one the
same way twice), it doesn't HAVE to be as exact, unless you want it
to be (i.e., if you need/want to produce it the exact same way every
time).

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | Peter da Silva:  No, try "rm -rf /"
spooky130@cox.net       | Dave Aronson:    As your life flashes before