Re: [CH] Smoker question

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:36:43 -0700

John Sphar wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a pellet smoker. I have always assumed that it's
> better to use a dedicated charcoal or gas grill for chiles (or other vegs)
> and not the same one you use for meat due to flavor transfer. But howabout
> now I think I'm getting a pellet one. There's no soot on the bottom to
> reburn, and as long as you clean the actual grill grates well, can I infer
> that it would be OK to smoke chiles on the same pellet grill I use for meat?

I've smoked peppers several times in my Weber Smoky Mountain, after
thoroughly cleaning the grates and the catch pan (*).  I've never
detected a flavor transfer.

*My catch pan is filled with an inch or so of washed sand, and
covered with multiple layers of heavy duty foil.  I replace the
top layers of foil to avoid getting any drippings into the
sand at all, so it always starts clean.

Dana