RE: [CH] Smoker question

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:08:08 -0700

Thanks for the comments. BTW, who makes good pellets? I only know of
Traegers.

John S.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of JohnT
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:35 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [CH] Smoker question

Dana writes:

> It's really not about the burned-on deposits in my experience; it's
> more about residue of drippings on the interior of the smoker that
> later evaporate when smoking the peppers, which really don't throw off
> any drippings themselves.

Almost exactly what I was going to say.  I have an off-set fire box smoker
and use lump charcoal with either well seasoned pecan wood or the best
pellets there are (not Traeger) and it often amazes me how much collects in
the drip can that hangs beneath the cooking chamber.  Not sure if is
creosote or what, but definitely strong smelling.  It's really tough to
completely smoke dry a pod w/o imparting a bitter taste even if your smoker
is dedicated to pods only.  For me the solution is to dehydrate the pods
first and then 30 min or so in the smoker.

jt