OT warning: Cycle shorts (was Re: [CH] Underwear? Very OT)

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:58:56 -0700

Sandy Olson wrote:
> Okay, guys...
>
> I'm going out on a limb here and will probably get a ton of wise-guy/gal
> answers but here goes anyway:
>
> Are you supposed to wear underwear under those Spandex biking shorts?

That's a great question, because there's really one correct answer
and yet many people are afraid to ask.  So, first, kudos to you
for asking in the first place.

The answer is "you do not wear underwear under cycling shorts".

There *are* people that do, but there are always exceptions.
Good cycling shorts are designed to minimize chafing and provide
reasonable ventilation; adding in more layers of fabric can
thwart these advantages or create chafing where there was none
to start with.