Re: [CH] Chile Vodka

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:17:10 -0400

Linda Hutchinson wrote:
> Quick question? My son in law loves drinks like bloody Caesars and bloody
> marys.
> I would like to "make" him some habanero vodka for Christmas. I bought the
> vodka and this is the first year I was successful at growing habs!! (BOY, do
> I have habs!!  and etc!!)
>
> How many habs should I put into a 40 oz of vodka?  Should I slice them or
> dice them or something?  He likes it HOT..... he is no wimp.
>
> Can someone advise?
>
> THANKS, GUYS!

Back on-list again after five days of enforced idleness thanks to Ike...
I didn't know we /got/ hurricanes in Indiana... not that I'm
complaining, I could have been in Galveston.

I have done this several times with vodka and tequila. I would suggest,
depending on his heat tolerance, that about half a dozen habaneros,
sliced in half, will impart a nice glow to the spirit. However, I do
recommend steeping the chiles for two to three weeks and then straining
them and their seeds out - at that point it's as hot as it's going to
get, and after that the liquid gets a bit of a skunky flavor. Also, use
a decent vodka or tequila - the addition of chiles does not elevate the
quality of the spirit. It doesn't have to be Grey Goose or Ketel One,
but a good-quality middle-of-the-road vodka like Smirnoff or Finlandia
works just fine.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan