Re: [CH] Refrigerator pickle recipe for hot peppers......am I NUTS?!!!!

JohnT (love2troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:23:56 -0500

Linda writes:  > Anyone else done this? And your results???

Many times.  Recommeded reading:  "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich.

This might sound strange...  my best results came by slowly heating equal
parts vinegar and sugar until the sugar dissolved.  Refrigerate the liquid
and slice pods into it as you harvest.  A sticky, syrupy mess to be sure,
but you will be impressed with the intensified color of the pods and the
flavor.   If you want to dehydrate the pickled peppers later it is best to
cut way back on the sugar unless you are expert at adding flow agents to
your powders.

jt

----- Original Message -----
From: Linda Reynolds
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 2:53 PM
Subject: [CH] Refrigerator pickle recipe for hot peppers......am I NUTS?!!!!

...So, I had a bunch of Jalapenos at different stages of ripeness and
not enough to really fire up the canner. I had a refrigerator pickle recipe
on the fridge and figured....why not? Water, vinegar, dill seed,
mustard seed, tad of sugar, salt....

Besides, I don't like pickles or peppers that are mushy so these
should stay crisp. I realize that I will need to keep them in the
fridge (thus the name....) and will let you know how they turn out.

Anyone else done this? And your results???

Thanks,
Linda in Upstate NY where frost is now threatening what is left in the
garden.