Re: [CH] First Time Post

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:12:49 -0700

fmccarter@cinci.rr.com wrote:
> I just joined the list and wanted to say HELLO to everyone.
> I have been reading about coffee and bacon and other things, but not much about peppers.
> I have a small garden here in the state of Ohio. My garden has 168 pepper plants this year - from high sweet to heavy heat.
> I enjoy them all. I started eating the Hungarian's and the Jalapeno's last week. My Jalapeno's have lots of heat and flavor, but the Hungarian's only have heat. Perhaps with the cool weather this week they will produce more sugar for more flavor. Anyhow, that time of year is here for fresh peppered food! Enjoy your day,
> They call me PepperHeadFred...

Hello Fred! Welcome aboard...join the other Hot Shots on this list.
There are a number of other folks from Ohio on the list, including one
academic type, who has been notably quiet lately. Dunno though, as he is
a Scot, nobody can predict with any semblance of accuracy, WHAT he will
do...
Guess I am the grand daddy referred to by that delightful young
lady(welll, young to ME at 83!)SandyO! There are some here who have been
onboard longer than I, but I do believe that as far as age goes, I is it!
Think I began posting to this list about 1996, or perhaps year earlier,
and every time I came up with a recipe that worked well, I would send it
on. One of our enterprising members collected them and posted them to
his web site. Go to: http://www.pepperfool.com   Click RECIPES then
scroll down to Doug Irvine.  The blurb is way outta date, but recipes
are still good. I am still cooking, Marie is still baking, and we had
our 60 th wedding anniversary last March.
I have two pepper plants on the deck along with 4 tomato plants, 2
tomatillas, Italian oregano, parsley, mint, chives, rosemary, 2
different basils, sage, thyme! As well as numerous flowers in window
boxes! We live in an apartment with a south facing deck, and the reason
for only two peppers, is I am still working on dried peppers from a
couple of years ago.
Cheers, Doug on Vancouver Island BC