Re: [CH] Coffee and "Bacon"

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:16:46 -0700

Dave Drum wrote:
> =Mark wrote:
>
>> I dunno, when I smoke pork butt it goes on for at least 8 hours...
>
> Do you brine it first. I find that reduces times across the board. And I
> use a remote read internal thermometer to go for a "cook to" (for pork
> about 145oF) temperature. But, then, I likes me pork pink in the middle.

True, brining does usually reduce cook time, but 145F seems
like a pretty low target temperature.  I don't brine pork butts
and cook them to 188-190 for a sliceable butt, 195-ish for
a pullable butt.  At 145F, you won't have enjoyed the benefit
of collagen break-down (which might explain why you prefer to
brine?) and I'd expect the slices to be a bit chewy.