Re: [CH] Coffee and "Bacon"

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 18:31:23 -0500

Dana H. Myers wrote:

>> =Mark wrote:

>>> I dunno, when I smoke pork butt it goes on for at least 8 hours...

>> Do you brine it first. I find that reduces times across the board. And
>> I use a remote read internal thermometer to go for a "cook to" (for
>> pork about 145oF) temperature. But, then, I likes me pork pink in the
>> middle.

> True, brining does usually reduce cook time, but 145F seems
> like a pretty low target temperature.  I don't brine pork butts
> and cook them to 188-190 for a sliceable butt, 195-ish for
> a pullable butt.  At 145F, you won't have enjoyed the benefit
> of collagen break-down (which might explain why you prefer to
> brine?) and I'd expect the slices to be a bit chewy.

Well, that sort of depends on what one is going for ... if I am going
to slice it and fry it up with my breakfast eggs (we were talking
about a form of non-sidemeat bacon in the beginning) then 145oF is
almost perfect. If I am going to do sliced pork sarnies ... 155-160oF
works for me (with the knowledge that the meat will continue to cook
after it is removed from the heat source).

Pulled/shredded pork is something I seldom do. If I am going for that
I don't brine ... just slather on the rub, let it sit overnight, pop
it into the smoker in the morning and cook it until it gives up and
falls to bits.

Temperature used to cook the meat makes some difference - depending on
what you are going for. The recipe I posted earlier for Dirty Dave's
Pork Butt "Bacon" is more properly called "Buckboard Bacon" and goes
into the smoker @ about 225oF. Which works well for that product. If I
am going just for sliced, smoked pork - a smoker temperature of 185 -
200oF does well for me. It just takes longer than the bacon recipe.

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAHOOOOAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death
hates that!