OT: More BBQ talk (was Re: [CH] To Brine or Not To Brine)

Dana H. Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:50:57 -0700

=Mark wrote:
> Not sure about this.  How tightly do you place the foil on the butt?  Meat
> will not absorb smoke flavor after it has reached an external temp of about
> 125°.  Covering with foil for the first part of smoking will seriously limit
> the amount of smoke absorbed to just the outer portion of the pork.   You seem
> to be running the smoker pretty hot too...

There are a lot of ways to cook a hunk of meat with wood, and
pork is about the most forgiving/flexible meat there is.

PepperHeadFred describes a way of cooking a butt pretty
quickly that probably yields a more "steamed" sort of
texture (covered pan will trap moisture) with an
outer crust browned-up with high heat at the end.
My guess is that the butt takes on little smoke
and has a more neutral flavor in that respect.
It's not how I'd cook a butt, but I'm sure it's
good eatin'.