RE: [CH] Jamaican jerk powder recipe

Jeff (jeff@ulupica.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:43:01 -0500

Here we go... an oldie but a goodie (at least in my opinion)

Jamaican Jerk Seasoning ala PepperMan (me)

Ingredients

    * 7 Parts onion powder
    * 5 Parts garlic powder
    * 3 Parts habanero pepper powder
    * 3 Parts piquin pepper powder
    * 2 Parts ground thyme
    * 2 Parts ground allspice
    * 1 Part ground nutmeg
    * 1 Part ground cinnamon
    * 1 Part ground black pepper

Instructions

I like to use "Parts" rather than the usual tsp/tbls/cup measuring system.
The way I figure it, if you want to make a lot, use cups. If you want just a
little, use pinches, tads, smidgens or what have you. It also translates
well for the metric crowd (of which Im sure there are a number on the list).
There are 25 parts total, so the yield is 25 times whatever measure you
chose to use (brilliant reasoning isn't it?).

I had one suggestion that there was a touch too much clove (none in my
recipe, though I suppose a small amount would probably be alright) so you
might want to use a little less nutmeg.

One other person suggested that it needs a touch of citrus. Maybe adding a
little powdered lime zest would help. Or store the powder in a jar with some
dried lime or grapefruit rinds. Or just do whatever you damn well feel like,
it's all the same to me.

Preparation: Simple! Throw all the stuff together, then pop it into a
blender or spice grinder. When its nicely powdered, wait a few minutes for
the dust to settle. If you don't cough or sneeze after opening, it isn't
done yet!

Jeff