Re: [CH] Jamaican jerk powder recipe

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Tue, 01 Sep 2009 06:15:39 -0700

Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> I've done much the same except that I cut mine in half - reduces drying
> time on thin-walled peppers.
>
> Ditto on the dedicated coffee grinder. I did have an interesting
> experience once when a friend who was staying with me used the wrong
> grinder for beans the morning after I'd made vindaloo spice... curried
> coffee, anyone?

And did your friend mention that you had a "warped" sense of taste?? Oh
Jonathan, you left yourself wide open for that one! :-))!
Actually, that would never happen here, as I use a burr grinder for my
coffee. I blend my own beans, a blend of Indonesian/Ethiopian beans, and
grind and brew fresh for every pot of coffee. Am I a coffee freak? Yup!
Just like my chilified taste buds...
As to cutting the habs, if they are large I will also cut 'em in half
lengthwise, you are correct in that they will dry far faster.
Marie cut up one of our Hot Portugals for a salsa other night and she
had to sit with her fingers in  a bowl of milk for half an hour!
For any Macheads on the list, I installed Snow Leopard on Saturday in my
Mac Book. Amazingly fast install, and the Mac is like a new machine!
Cheers, Old Doug in BC