Re: [CH] Fw: How would you taste 20 different hot powders?

Tom Greaves (tomg@airmail.net)
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:00:00 -0500

I got them on ebay.  It is actually called Naga Morich , but they think it
is a variant of Bhut Jolokia .

Here's what they say:

According to thechileman.org:
            "The Naga Morich 'snake or serpent chilli' is one of the world's
most sought after and fearsome
            chilli peppers. A recent sample of this rare Bangladeshi chilli
was tested using High-performance
             liquid chromatography and registered a mind blowing 1,598,227
Scoville Heat Units (SHU), that's 3
             times hotter than the previous World Record Holder - the Red
Savina Habanero or 300 times hotter
             than a Jalapeno pepper!

             In its native Bangladesh, it is used sparingly (and with great
care) to add a searing level of heat to
             dishes by simply rubbing green unripe pods on ingredients. Even
the fiery food loving
             Bangladeshi's are not stupid enough to eat a whole Naga pod."

The Naga Morich is very closely related to the Bhut Jolokia. Some experts
think that they may be the same variety with difference names from different
locales.