Re: [CH] Calvin's Powder - Reproduced

J. Patrick Donohoe (donohoe@ECE.MsState.Edu)
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:08:35 -0500

Tom Greaves wrote:
> 1. Just about every combination we tried (about 10) was awesome!
> There is something about combining the powders that makes the result
> far superior to any of the peppers used.  We dried and ground all the
> peppers in a coffee grinder (cleaned between each variety). Each
> powder was stored in a Freezer Zip Lock bag and they filled a 5 gallon
> can.  The absolute best fragrance comes when you remove the lid from
> the can.  The fragrance fills the room.
Tom,

I have been doing this very thing for three or four years now (grinding
a blend of dried peppers), and my experience has been the same.  But, I
am much less meticulous about the makeup of the blend.  I typically grow
one or two plants of a wide variety of peppers each year (about 20-25
pepper types).  I just pick everything that's ripe, throw them in the
dehydrator, and grind whatever I have.  The results are very consistent
irregardless of the pepper types used, unless there are Habaneros in the
mix.  The distinctive flavor of a raw Hab is still there in the dried
version, and it does tend to dominate the overall powder flavor.  That
is too bad for me, since I love the heat of a Hab, but Habaneros are way
down on my list of favorite pepper flavors.  A Habanero has an
"artificial" or "chemical" type taste to me.

One thing I have done the past couple of years is to add ground oatmeal
to my pepper powder (as a natural dessicant) to keep the powder from
caking together.  The ground oatmeal doesn't affect the powder taste
much, but it gives the powder an almost fluorescent glow and a real
silky texture.  I use about 1 part ground oatmeal to 4 parts ground
peppers.

A good pepper powder is by far the easiest and tastiest way to add heat
to absolutely any food.

Pat

J. Patrick Donohoe, Ph.D, P.E.
Professor
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Mississippi State University
Box 9571
Mississippi State, MS 39762

       Email: donohoe@ece.msstate.edu