Re: [CH] Recipe help needed

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Sun, 05 Sep 2010 14:10:19 -0700

  On 10-09-05 1:06 PM, Tom Greaves wrote:
> Now that is interesting.  I'd never heard of vinegar powder.  I'll
> look into that.
>
> I think with the egg topping Doug suggested, salt, and a nice sauce
> like what JJK suggested, I'm almost there.  If I had some of that
> vinegar salt now, I'd be home.  Perhaps using vinegar instead of the
> milk in Doug's suggestion?  I hope vinegar and eggs get along well.
>
>> Salt was my first instinct.  Here is another idea:
> http://www.spicesetc.com/product/Vinegar-Powder/Specialty-Seasonings

Well, Thomas...I would imagine that were you to add vinegar to the egg
rather than make a custard(which is what you will accomplish with egg &
milk) You will have a sour mess. I began cooking in 1947, same year I
met Marie, and although I did not continue in that avocation, Marie and
I are still cooking 63 years later:-)! She bakes and I cook and 70 odd
of my recipes are still sitting on PepperFool web site, as well as a few
of hers. Check 'em out, they still work. Wirk, Rael?
I think there may be a chile relleno casserole in there, which is
similar. Tom, all that is required is a smidgen of salt which will bring
out the flavor of the peppers. I am well aware that folks on this
continent are killing themselves with salt, along with FAT. And
gluttony. Supersize Me?? Sheesh, the North American populace has already
become over super sized now!
But until you get the vinegar powder, try a dash of salt. Or a dash of
garlic powder if salt is a problem. Garlic powder will add garlic flavor
of course, but will also enhance the flavor of the pepper.
Cheers,

Doug, jumping off the soap box! If he could jump anymore that is....